Ideas for the type of party you can host are endless. Choosing the type of party you are going to have will then determine how you are going to prepare for the event. Some points to consider when deciding the kind of party you will host:
1. Is the party for a particular person/s, such as a birthday, graduation, wedding or welcome home party? If so, the needs of the honoured guest must be taken into account. You will need to check their availability, their tastes and who they would like to be invited to the party. If you are throwing a surprise party for a particular person, obviously you will have to make these decisions without consulting the person in question. You may need to engage the help of their friends and family members to ensure the honoured guest will not only get a surprise but enjoy the occasion as well.
2. Awards parties or hobbyist parties will often involve like-minded people so keep this in mind when planning your party.
3. Reunions can be fun to host but will need a lot of prior planning. If people are traveling long distances to get to the party you need to consider the timing of your party. Invitations will need to be sent out many weeks in advance so people can plan their trip.
4. Themed parties such as Halloween or Fancy Dress parties are fun to hold. Ensure you let your guests know what is required of them in terms of dress code.
5. Dinner parties can be varied. Will you do a formal sit down dinner for eight? Or will it be a potluck dinner party where the guests contribute to the meal? Will it be a pizza while watching the Super Bowl or Football game or will you host a backyard barbecue? If you are planning to host a party where you will offer your guests dinner of some type, make sure you know your guest numbers and budget to ensure adequate food and drink.
The kind of party you host will depend a lot on you. What type of party do you want to have? What kind of person are you? Do you entertain a lot or is this the first party you have thrown? If you are a novice at party planning go for something simple first. Invite a small amount of guests and enjoy the celebration. If you enjoy throwing big, themed parties then do it! Just remember to be well prepared so you can enjoy the party too.