Please the crowd with these moreish sausage rolls that are a cinch to prepare!
Recipe Type: SAUSAGE ROLLS
- 1/2 cup fresh white breadcrumbs
- 80ml (1/3 cup) milk
- 500g pork and veal or chicken and herb sausages
- 1/2 small onion, chopped
- 1 egg, plus 1 egg extra, lightly beaten
- 2 sheets frozen puff pastry, just thawed
- Sesame seeds, to sprinkle
- Tomato sauce (ketchup), to serve
- Combine breadcrumbs and milk in a bowl and set aside until milk is absorbed. Remove casings from sausages and place in a food processor with crumbs, onion and egg. Process until well combined, cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes to chill.
- Place a sheet of pastry on a lightly floured surface and cut horizontally into two. Spoon a quarter of the mixture along the centre of each piece of pastry. Fold over a long side of pastry, brush with egg, then fold other side over to enclose, slightly overlapping in the centre, and make a long sausage shape. Repeat with remaining pastry and filling to make 4 rolls.
- Place rolls, seam side down, on a baking tray lined with baking paper. Cover and refrigerate for 1/2 hour until firm.
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Line a large baking sheet with non-stick baking paper. Carefully diagonally cut each roll into seven. Brush with remaining egg and place on baking sheet. Use a sharp knife to make 2 small slits on top of each roll (to prevent rolls from splitting) and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden and puffed. Serve warm with the tomato sauce.